Find out how to register a birth.
- What the Registrar Needs to Know
- Do I need to bring anything with me?
- What The Process Is
- Registration by Declaration
- How to Re-register Your Child
You can register the birth of your baby at the Nottingham Register Office (within The Council House, Old Market Square) if your child was born in the City of Nottingham.
If you live in the County of Nottinghamshire you can register at your local Nottinghamshire Register Office. (For Nottinghamshire appointments please call 0300 500 8080)
Every live birth should be registered within 42 days of the child being born.
Booking an Appointment
You must make an appointment to register a new birth. Contact our office on 0115 841 5554.
Please ensure you arrive in time for your appointment as we will not be able to see you if you are late.
The Registrar will interview you in private, when you will need to give the following information for recording in the Register book:
- The date and place of baby's birth
- The full name and surname you wish to give the child
- Where the parents are married or, if not married, where both parents attend together, the baby's father's full name, occupation, any previous names used, and place of birth
- The mother's full name, occupation, any previous names used, and place of birth
- The mother's usual address at the time of baby's birth
- If the parents are not married to each other, the father's usual address
Additional details which must be given to the Registrar
Other details will be collected which do not appear in the Register book or on the birth certificate. These are gathered confidentially and will only be used for the preparation and supply of statistical information by the Registrar General:
- The mother's date of birth
- The father's date of birth if the parents are married, or if not married and both parents attend together
- If parents are married to each other, the month and year of the marriage, whether the mother has been married more than once, and the number of the mother's previous children by her present and any former husband
Yes - please bring photo ID i.e. Passport, driver license etc.
If English is not your first language you may ask a friend or relative to go with you to register.
What the Process is
The Registrar will take down all the details in draft form and will ask you to check that they have been recorded correctly. The non-statistical information will then be copied into the Register, which you will be asked to check through carefully and sign.
On completion of the registration you will be issued with the following documents:
- A free 'short' birth certificate which states baby's name, date of birth, sex and district of birth
- Standard 'full' birth certificates may be purchased at the time of registration at a cost of £4 each (This certificate includes all the details entered in the Register)
If you live outside the City of Nottingham you may, register the birth via the office of your local Registrar. You should telephone your local Registrar to make an appointment. He/she will take a declaration of the particulars required and forward it to Nottingham Register Office. When the birth has been recorded in a Register in Nottingham, you will receive through the post the free 'short' birth Certificate and, if requested, the standard 'full' birth certificate.
If your child has already been registered in the City of Nottingham and you wish to re-register to add the natural fathers name or following marriage to the natural father, you should contact the Register Office on 0115 841 5554 for advice.
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...