Family History is any event that took place in the City of Nottingham before 1910.
This page is for customers applying for Family History certificates only.
Ways to Apply
Once you have completed your research, and you are satisfied that the birth, marriage or death is registered in the Nottingham Registration District, you can apply for your certificate in the following ways:
- Write to us, enclosing a £10 postal order made payable to ‘Nottingham City Council’ for each certificate required and a stamped addressed envelope. Please note, we do not accept cheques
- Call into the Register Office in person, and order certificates for collection or posting. Please be aware that certificates cannot be issued while you wait. The fee is £10 for each certificate plus postage and this fee is payable at the time of your application and is non refundable
- Complete the an online request form
The search may take between 4 to 6 weeks, we will be in touch with you as soon as we can.
Unfortunately, we are unable to conduct a general search of our indexes, as manual searches are time consuming. Due to the number of applications received the minimum amount of information we require is:
- the year and
- the quarter in which a particular event was registered
Nottingham Register Office only holds records for the Nottingham (City) Registration District (and some Basford District Registrations up until 1899).
After 1899, Basford District Registrations could potentially be held by:
- Amber Valley,
- Mansfield or
- Rushcliffe Register Offices
If the only information you possess is a probable date or an approximate year of an event, it will be necessary for you to carry out further research.
One of the most reliable sources of information for when a birth, death or marriage occurred can be found on the General Register Office indexes. These indexes relate to registrations in England and Wales since 1837, when civil registration began.
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...