Travelling Safely by Taxi in Nottingham
Nottingham City Council’s Taxi Licensing team are working to make sure your trip in a taxi in the city is safe, pleasant and good value.
You can complain about a Hackney Carriage or a Private Hire vehicle or driver licensed by Nottingham City Council (if they were licensed here, the Nottingham City Council logo will be displayed on their taxi badge on the outside of their vehicle). We want to hear from you if :
- a hackney cab refused your short journey
- you were overcharged
- you experienced poor customer service or driving
- you travelled in a vehicle which had issues (such as broken seatbelts)
- you experienced a private hire vehicle illegally plying for hire
- you experienced a taxi causing a noise nuisance
We'd also like to hear from you if you have a compliment to pass on about your experience in a Nottingham taxi.
The best way to contact us is by email, one of our team will acknowledge your complaint, and we’ll also get in touch to tell you the result of your complaint once it’s been investigated.
- 0115 9156571
To stay safe whilst using licensed taxis and private hire vehicles, please make sure you:
- never get into a private hire vehicle if you have not booked it through an operator – whether that’s by phone, online or via an app. Private Hire drivers call this 'flying' and they know they are breaking the law and committing an offence. If you are involved in an accident, you will have trouble claiming for any damages or injuries
- check that the vehicle you’re getting into is the vehicle you booked
- don’t tell the driver your name; ask what name is on the booking
- look out for the required taxi signage on the vehicle
- always try and take down the vehicle's plate number or registration number
- All drivers licensed by Nottingham City Council are issued with a badge displaying their photo, licence number and expiry date which must be displayed either on the person or in the vehicle at all times – if you cannot see a badge do not get into the vehicle
- after nights out try and travel with friends and check that the last person dropped off made it home safely
- Can be hailed in the street or at ranks around the city
- Can also be pre-booked, we recommend the MyTaxi app as a great way to book Hackney Cabs. The app enables you to book now in advance, and you can track the taxi in real time on your phone. All journeys are recorded and on the meter, and payment can be cashless
- Cannot refuse a journey due to it being a short distance, please tell us if this happens
- Cannot charge an extra fee per passenger, the total cost should be the same regardless of the number of passengers
- Have the Nottingham City Council coat of arms displayed on both front door panels
- Display white licence plates on the front and rear of the vehicle and on a small plate inside the vehicle with the words 'Nottingham City Council', a three digit number, vehicle registration number and expiry date of licence
- Hackney Cabs have a fare meter and fare chart displayed inside the vehicle. Meters MUST be used for any journey within the City boundary, but a fare may be negotiated if the journey ends outside the City boundary. (For example, Clifton campus is within the City boundary, but West Bridgford is outside the City boundary)
Hackney Carriage Vehicle List a list updated at the beginning of every month
Private Hire Vehicles
- The cars you book in advance by phone, online or using an app
- If you haven’t pre-booked, do not get into a private hire vehicle, you won’t be insured. If a private hire vehicle is plying for your trade, please tell us about it
- When booking always ask for an estimate of the fare as not all Private Hire vehicles have meters
- All vehicles can carry up to a maximum of eight passengers dependant on make and model of vehicle
- They display yellow licence plates on the front and rear of the vehicle and on a small plate inside on the vehicle windscreen with the words 'Nottingham City Council', a three or four digit number, vehicle registration number and expiry date of licence
- They have the name of the Private Hire company displayed on the side of the vehicle
Private Hire Vehicle List a list updated at the beginning of every month
All Nottingham City Council licensed hackney carriages are wheelchair accessible.
The following Nottingham City Council licensed private hire operators provide wheelchair accessible vehicles:
- Arrow A2B: 0115 956 5757
- Central Cars: 0115 976 2222
- County Cars: 0115 942 5425
- DG Cars: 0115 950 0500
- Nottingham Cars: 0115 970 0700
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...