Special Educational Needs Service

Supporting children and young people with special educational needs to get the most out of school life.

The Special Educational Needs (SEN) team works closely with parents, schools, Children's and Families colleagues and Health Services to ensure that children and young people with SEN get the most out of their school life and maximise their achievements.

Each area of the City (North, Central and South) has a dedicated Caseworker and Officer who provide consultation, advice and problem solving services for schools, parents and carers, colleagues and partner agencies, in addition to the services provided by the team as a whole. 

What are Special Educational Needs

Many children will experience some kind of difficulty in learning at some time during their school life. Most will receive the help they need from their nursery / school / college. Some children may need extra or more specialised help. A child has Special Educational Needs if they have learning difficulties or disability that needs special educational provision. In most cases the special provision that is needed can be made within a mainstream school. For some children and young people, it may be agreed that a special school would be most appropriate for their needs.

The Department for Education produces statutory guidance called the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice, which must be followed by the Local Authority, Schools, Health, and other organisations working with children and young people.

The Department for Education also produces guidance for families called Special Educational Needs and Disability - guide for parents and carers. This provides useful information on what the law says about Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), key points about the SEND Code of Conduct, and what to expect from the system which supports children and young people with SEND.

Using the SEN Service

The SEN Service is available for:

  • Children and young people 0-25 with special educational needs, and their families, who live in the City of Nottingham and/or attend a City school
  • Children with special educational needs who are Looked After by Nottingham City but living elsewhere
  • Schools, Academies, Colleges, Early Years providers, and other educational establishments
  • Colleagues within the Local Authority
  • Colleagues from partner agencies including Health

What the SEN Service Provides

The SEN Service provides:

  • Administer the statutory assessment and Education, Health and Care Plan EHC Plan process for children and young people with special educational needs
  • Provide advice to schools on statutory requirements in relation to special educational needs and transport
  • Manage all placements at specialist provision within the City
  • Monitor annual reviews of EHC Plan / statements of SEN, and ensure that Plans / statements are kept up to date
  • Provide advice to parents about adapted schools and support available for their child's specific difficulty
  • Identify and develop appropriate provision for pupils with special educational needs
  • Devise and assist schools in implementing individual programmes for pupils
  • Provide schools with advice on where to obtain specialist training and support
  • Administer SEN support funding to schools

Contact Us

The team is based at the Glenbrook Management Centre in Bilborough and can be contacted by email, telephone, or in writing.

Email: special.needs@nottinghamcity.gov.uk

Tel: 0115 876 4300

The Special Educational Needs Team
Glenbrook Management Centre
Wigman Road

Please note that requests for Education, Health and Care Plans need to be made using our form. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Your child's early years are a very important time for their physical, emotional, cognitive and social development.

When your health visitor or doctor makes a routine check, they might suggest that there could be a problem. But if you have any worries of your own, you should talk to your health visitor or family doctor.

At school, there will be a teacher called a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO), who is responsible for planning the provision made for individual children with SEND. If you are concerned that your child may not be receiving the support they need, you should talk initially to your child's teacher or the SENCO. You will be able to talk over your concerns, find out what the school thinks, and what happens next.

Working together with your child's teachers will often help to sort out worries and problems. The closer you work with your child's teachers, the more successful any help for your child can be.

Information about how the provision supports pupils with special educational needs must be made available in their SEN Policy. 

Schools and other settings in Nottingham use a graduated approach to meeting SEN needs, using a range of strategies and levels of support depending on the needs of the individual child or young person.

The school or setting has the responsibility to inform and involve parents in the planning for and meeting of their child's special educational needs. 

For most children and young people, the SEN Support provided for them within the school or setting will be enough the meet their needs.

Some children and young people - those with complex SEN and disabilities needing more intensive specialist support than the school or setting can provide through SEN Support - may need an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

Only a very small percentage of children and young people with SEN will require an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This is a detailed plan that brings the individual's educational, health and care needs together into a single legal document. The EHCP is created by the Local Authority (LA), based on specialist advice along with input from the parents or carers and the child or young person themselves.

More information on the EHCP process in Nottingham, along with how to request an EHC Plan, is available on the related page 'Education, Health and Care Plans'.

Note: EHC Plan's are replacing Statements of SEN and Learning Disability Assessments from September 2014.

Children and young people can only be educated in a Special School if it is named in their EHCP.

However, an EHCP does not necessarily mean a Special School place is best suited: many children and young people with an EHCP can be successfully supported in mainstream school or college.

More information is available through 'related pages' links at the top of this page.

Nottingham City's Local Offer website is a central point of information about all services, support and activities for children and young people with SEND.

Ask Us (formerly the Parent Partnership Service)

Contact information for some of the local organisations that provide information and support are also given below:

Ask Us Nottinghamshire
Tel: 0800 121 7772
Email at askus@futuresadvice.co.uk

Rainbow Carers Forum
Tel: 07837 278981
Email: admin@rainbowparentscarersforum.org.uk

Ask Iris
Tel : 0115 853 3291
Email : contactus@askiris.org.uk


Useful Documents 

Contact Us

The Special Educational Needs Team Glenbrook Management Centre Wigman Road Bilborough Nottingham NG8 4PD
Tel: 0115 876 4300

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...