Equality and Community Relations FAQs

Experiencing Discrimination

If you think you are being discriminated against you should speak to your line manager.  If you cannot speak to your line manager you should contact your Performance and Change Team (HR) who will be able to provide advice and support.

If you are a member of a Trade Union you might find it useful to talk to your union representative who can offer help and support.  You may be able to resolve matters through talking to your manager or local HR representative.  If you cannot resolve the situation in this way there are procedures in place to make sure it is dealt with. 

Areas Covered by Law

Equality legislation provides protection against ten "protected characteristics". These are:

  • age
  • disability
  • gender reassignment
  • marriage and civil partnership
  • pregnancy and maternity
  • race
  • religion or belief
  • sex
  • sexual orientation

The legislation makes it illegal to discriminate against people on the basis of these characteristics in employment or service delivery. It also gives extra duties for public bodies like Nottingham City Council to actively promote equality and to consider how it can reduce socioeconomic disadvantage.

Most Accessible Font

The RNIB recommend Arial as the most accessible font for people with a visual impairment on print.  All documents should be produced in size 12pt or larger to ensure the text is easy to see.

 Century Gothic or Futura are the most accessible fonts for people with learning disabilities because they have an easy read 'a' and 'g' as taught in schools without the looped top and bottom.  This font is appropriate to use if you are producing a document aimed at people with learning disabilities or an 'easy read' version of a document.

How to Consult on Equalities Issues

There are a number of internal and external equalities groups who can be consulted on general equalities issues or ones relating to specific strands, including three employee groups and several external groups such as the Community Equality Forum.

Make a Compliment and Complaint

Have your say?

Useful Numbers 

  • Citizens Advice Bureau 0844 848 7997
  • Equality and Diversity 0115 876 2747
  • Nottinghamshire Deaf Society 0115 970 05