Using the library
Library quick guide
Useful information about Nottingham City Libraries, where to find out more and how to contact us.
Borrow, renew and return
- Up to 24 loans at a time; books, newspapers & magazines, talking books, music scores, CDs & DVDs, language courses (most of our services are free but see Library Charges and fees for more information)
- In addition to 24 loans, download eBooks, eMagazines and eAudio. You only need one membership card to use across Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
- You can renew your loans four times without taking them into a library (online, by phone or in person with your card number and PIN). Alternatively, you can visit any Nottingham or Nottinghamshire library in person with your loans and card
- Reserved items cannot be renewed and should be returned as soon as possible
Children, families and young adults
If you need help finding information or have questions about services and books, including books not listed on our catalogue, please contact us.
Visit in person, phone or email any of our libraries, click to find a library
Family history and local studies
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: +44 0115 915 2873
If travelling to visit for research it is better to contact the library beforehand.
To make a comment, compliment or complaint about any Nottingham City Council service, including libraries, you can use Have Your say
New residents in Nottingham and the UK
Meet new people at a reading group or other regular social library activity.
Practice your English: at a conversation group or with our free language courses on CD and IELTS course materials.
Use a computer to access the Life in Great Britain software to prepare for the British Citizenship test, or get help using a computer to apply for a visa (we can't advise on the visa application but can help with the digital process).
More information, resources and services are available online and in libraries to help you settle in contact us for more information or visit our libraries special events calendar, computers and WiFi, book a computer, join the library web pages.
For help with other council services visit welcome information for Nottingham city residents.
Photocopying and Fax
- A4 and A3 Black and White and Colour photocopying are available in all our libraries. There is a charge
- Sending a FAX: You can send a FAX from the following libraries: Aspley, Bilborough, Bulwell, Clifton, Hyson Green, Nottingham Central, Radford Lenton, Sherwood, Southglade Park, St Anns, Strelley Road, Wollaton. Fees and charges apply depending on destination
- Receiving a FAX: If you wish to receive a FAX please contact one of the following libraries in advance: Bilborough, Radford-Lenton, Sherwood, Southglade Park, St Ann's Valley. There is a 70p charge for this service
If you don’t live in Nottingham City, Derby City* or Nottinghamshire you can still join online or at any Nottingham City Library with proof of your name and address.
*See the full benefits of the METRO strategy here.
If you don't want to join you can still use the library to read or attend events, you can also use a computer for a small fee, go to our fees and charges page for full details.
When visiting to research Family History it is advisable to contact The Local Studies Library before travelling.