Check the Approval you need for Building Work

Check the approval you need for building work

Depending on the work you are doing, you might need to get planning permission or building regulation approval, or both. If you go ahead without permission or approval, you might end up having to put things back to how they were.

Building regulation approval

You need building regulation approval to check the work you are doing reaches certain safety and energy efficiency standards.

You will need building regulation approval for:

  • A new building
  • An extension
  • A loft-conversion
  • Alterations to the structure of the building
  • home improvements like a new boiler, radiators, bathroom, fuse box, electrics, windows, doors, and roofing

Changing the use of a building, altering the structure or internal layout

Before any structural alterations are made to a building or if you are going to change the use of a building please check the following websites to find out what approval you require -

Contact your water authority

More information on the approval you need for building work.

Planning permission

You’ll probably need planning permission if you want to:

  • build something new
  • make a major change, like building an extension
  • change the use of your building

Read more about planning permission