Registering to vote as a student

Registering as a student in Nottingham 

If you haven't registered to vote in Nottingham before, please think about doing so as you settle into life at the University by registering on the government website you can vote in national and local elections.

Why should I be on the electoral register?

If you are not registered, you can't vote. The electoral register is also used in credit referencing when buying some items, such as mobile phones, or opening a bank account. Some employers also check credit references.

I'm not British, can I vote?

If you're British, or a Commonwealth or Republic of Ireland citizen you are entitled to register to vote in all elections in Britain. Citizens of European Union states are entitled to register to vote in local and European elections. Find out more about who is eligible to vote here:

I'm already registered at my home address

That's great, though it is worth checking that you still are. You are entitled to be registered at home and your university address. At local council elections, you can vote both here in Nottingham and at your permanent residence. Not all councils hold elections at the same time, but if that is the case, registering for a postal vote at one of the addresses will make it easier to vote in both areas.

I'm not interested in voting

You must still register even if you’re not interested in voting.

Can I vote twice, at home and university?

If your home and university addresses are in two different local authority areas, you can vote in local elections in both areas.
However, even if you are registered in two areas (at home and university) you can only vote in one at a general election.
It is a criminal offence to vote twice in a UK general election.

What if I don’t have a National Insurance number?

If you don’t have a National Insurance number, don’t worry! There are other ways that we can check your identity. Just get in touch with us by sending an email to